Volunteers come to Our Cabaña for a period of 6 - 10 weeks, depending on the season. The positions encompass all the duties required to help run a successful programme and also maintain the Centre to a high standard. Volunteer roles give individuals the opportunity to assist in all aspects of our programmes.
General Qualifications required for Volunteers:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a registered member of the Girl Guide/Girl Scout Association in your own country.
- Have a good knowledge of WAGGGS, the World Centres and their missions.
- Have experience in leadership of a unit, troop, company, etc.
- Have experience in working with girls aged 12 -18 and adults.
- Have experience in managing large groups of people.
- Speak either English or Spanish, and be willing to learn the other language.
- Develop good public relations for Our Cabaña.
- Reside at Our Cabana in staff accommodation.
- Hold a current Basic First Aid certificate.
- Be a Qualified Lifeguard (not compulsory).
- Good physical condition to work in high altitude (1 mile or 1580mts), work long hours, climb steps, walk long distance, standing for a long time, etc.
General Volunteer duties will cover all aspects of the program and the house and will include:
- Assist the Program Team in all aspects of running the scheduled programs.
- Develop new workshops, ceremonies and program ideas based on the current WAGGGS themes and initiatives.
- Assist, set up and participate in all Program Activities including International Festivals, trip introductions, campfires, service projects etc.
- Provide tours of local towns and cities to participants.
- Assist in the craft house and help run sports activities and musical events.
- Prepare dormitories and all aspects of the house for the participants.
- Assist the Mexican cooks by setting tables and keep the dining room clean and tidy.
- Help in the Our Cabana trading post.
- Share Guiding & Scouting knowledge from your own country and contribute to the International atmosphere of the World Centre.
Insurance: Volunteers are responsible for arranging their own medical insurance coverage prior to arrival at Our Cabaña. A current Our Cabaña Health Form is required.
Note: Full Room and Board is provided at Our Cabaña for the duration of the volunteer term as well as help for the cost of the airfare (return, economy class).